OUT OF THE PAST

50 Years Ago

Aug. 5, 1970

F.W. Kling Jr. retired as principal at Lylburn Downing School. The Lexington City School Board appointed Clyde Keen to temporarily take his place. Keen would be doing double duty as he was also the principal at Waddell Elementary School.

- - - Baptist Minister the Rev. John E. Trotman alleged that the Virginia Employment Commission was practicing racial discrimination. A special committee investigating city job discrimination in Lexington found that job vacancies were not being made aware to minorities. - - -

The Rockbridge County School Board approved the revision of high school report cards. Grades would be recorded as letters ABCDF instead of numerals Also, report cards would be sent home four times instead of six.

25 Years Ago

Aug. 9, 1995

There was a sharp rise in applications for concealed carry at the Rockbridge County Circuit Court offices during July, the first month in which applicants were no longer required to demonstrate a need to carry a hidden handgun. - - -

The School of Commerce, Politics and Economics at Washington and Lee’s School of Law was renamed for its frequent benefactor Ernest Williams II. - - -

Football practice began to Parry McCluer and Rockbridge County high schools. The regular season was slated to start Sept. 1.

The News-Gazette

The News-Gazette Corp.
P.O. Box 1153
Lexington, VA 24450
(540) 463-3113

Email Us

Facebook Twitter

Latest articles